For Immediate Release · By Nairem Moran · firstname.lastname@example.org
St. Mary's City, Md. – Junior midfielder Mollie Belson's (Columbia, Md./Atholton) goal less than four minutes into the second extra frame propelled the St. Mary's College of Maryland field hockey team to an exciting 3-2 double overtime Capital Athletic Conference victory over Wesley College on Senior Day. The OT triumph completed a comeback for St. Mary's who rallied from 2-0 down.
St. Mary's 3, Wesley 2 (2OT)
How It Happened
- Following a broken penalty corner, first-year defender Meghan Ronan (Odenton, Md./Arundel) sent in a shot toward the near post where Belson deflected it in for her third tally of the season.
- The Seahawks outshot Wesley, 9-3, and edged them, 3-2, in corners in overtime.
- Wesley staked a 2-0 lead at 24:47 as Kasey Fry and Jessica Behornar both found the back of the cage.
- St. Mary's turned the momentum 21 seconds before halftime as Belson dumped off a pass to her right and senior defender Sophie Michel (Westminster, Md./Westminster) finished her third score of the season just inside the right post.
- The action was back and forth in the second half and it looked like the Wolverines would hold on for a 2-1 win.
- However, junior forward Courtney Mellon (Mount Airy, Md./Urbana) had other thoughts as Mellon put in a loose ball for her team-leading seventh goal of the season.
For the Seahawks (7-8, 2-2 CAC)
- Scorers: Belson (1 goal, 1 assist); Mellon (1 goal); Michel (1 goal); Ronan (1 assist)
- Goalkeeper: Alyssa Thompson (4 saves, 2 goals allowed, 88:36)
- St. Mary's recorded 18 shots (11 on goal) and 11 penalty corners.
For Wesley (3-12, 0-4 CAC)
- Scorers: Fry (1 goal); Behornar (1 goal); Rebecca Dvorak (1 assist)
- Goalkeeper: Sidney Knott (6 saves, 3 goals allowed, 88:36)
- Defensive Saves: Emily Wagner (2)
- The Wolverines finished the afternoon with nine shots (six on goal) and eight corners.
- St. Mary's improves to 12-4 all-time against Wesley, including four straight wins.
Up Next for the Seahawks
- Oct. 19 vs. No. 8 Christopher Newport University (13-1, 4-0 CAC) – Seahawk Stadium – CAC game – 4:00 p.m.
- CNU holds an 11-2 all-time record over St. Mary's and has won the last seven matchups.
Twitter: @smcseahawks, @SMCMFH
Instagram: @smcseahawks, @smcmfh
Hashtags: #SweepTheSheds, #GoHawks