Nov 19, 2016
For Immediate Release · By Nairem Moran · email@example.com
St. Mary's City, Md. –
- Score: St. Mary's 72, Baldwin Wallace 75
- Records: St. Mary's (1-1), Baldwin Wallace (2-0)
- Location: St. Mary's City, Md. · Michael P. O'Brien Athletics & Recreation Center Arena
- The Short Story: It was heartbreak for the St. Mary's College of Maryland men's basketball team Saturday night as the Seahawks dropped a nail-biter, 75-72, to Baldwin Wallace University at the Dan Greene Memorial Invitational. First-year guard Tre Mouton (Waldorf, Md./North Point) and junior wing Lavonte Sanders (Upper Marlboro, Md./Wise) paced St. Mary's in its first loss of the season.
How It Happened
- St. Mary's rallied from a 10-point deficit in a span of just over five minutes to knot the game at 68-68 after junior guard Ochae Bynum (Waldorf, Md./North Point) knocked down his only three-pointer of the game with 1:37 left in regulation.
- The Yellow Jackets, who got to the free throw line 23 times in this game, closed out the game by going 7-of-10 at the line to outscore St. Mary's, 7-4, and claim a spot in Sunday's championship game with tonight's 75-72 victory.
- Baldwin Wallace had a solid effort from downtown and was one of the contributing factors to its win tonight. The Yellow Jackets shot 43.5-percent (10-of-23) from behind the three-point arc to St. Mary's 28.6-percent (4-of-14).
- BWU never trailed in the first half but the Seahawks cut the lead to one four times before the Yellow Jackets headed into halftime with a 39-33 advantage. Mouton tallied 13 first-half points to lead all scorers on 5-of-8 shooting.
- Fourteen Baldwin Wallace turnovers in the second half allowed St. Mary's to work its way back in and grab its first lead of the game at 13:43 behind a three-pointer from junior guard Alie Kondeh (Laurel, Md./Ideal Academy PCS). The Seahawks finished with 18 points of BWU's 14 second-half miscues.
Inside the Box Score
- Mouton notched a team-best 19 points while adding seven rebounds. He shot 7-of-13 from the field with three-pointer and was a perfect 4-of-4 from the charity stripe.
- Sanders put down his first double-double of the season with 12 points and a team-high 11 rebounds. He also dished out a team-best four assists.
- Bynum finished the night with 11 points and five caroms while first-year forward Darick Kens (Cumberland, Md./Allegany) chipped in 10 points and two steals.
- St. Mary's will take on Spalding University (0-1) on Sunday, November 20, in the tournament's consolation game at 1:00 p.m.
Twitter: @smcseahawks, @SMCM_MBB, #GoHawks, #TalonsOut
Instagram: @smcseahawks, @smcm_mbb