For Immediate Release · By Nairem Moran · email@example.com
Arlington, Va. – Sophomore midfielder Ray LaPlaca (Owings, Md./Calverton) found the back of the net a career-best four times but his performance was not enough to lead the St. Mary's College of Maryland men's lacrosse team to a Capital Athletic Conference victory Saturday afternoon. The Seahawks dropped a 13-8 decision to the host Marymount (Va.) University Saints.
St. Mary's 8, Marymount 13
How It Happened
- Marymount struck first with a 2-0 lead at 11:28 after scoring twice in a 12-second span. St. Mary's, however, responded with a pair of goals from LaPlaca and junior attackman Dan Long (Mechanicsville, Md./St. Mary's Ryken) to even up score at 4:29. The Saints then answered back with three straight goals, including two in the final 23 seconds, to be up 5-2 after the first quarter.
- The Seahawks were shutout in the second period and held to just six shots while junior attackman Nathan Beard (Dauphin, Pa./Central Dauphin) had a hand in all four goals with two scores and two assists, giving MU a 9-2 advantage at halftime.
- St. Mary's found an offensive spark in the third stanza, outscoring the Saints, 4-1, to close the gap to 10-6 behind two LaPlaca goals.
- Marymount scored first in the fourth but the Seahawks answered back with two, including a man-down goal from junior defenseman Conner Campbell (Berwyn, Pa./Conestoga), to pull within three at 7:30.
- However, MU notched the final two goals of the game to seal its first CAC win of the season and its first win over St. Mary's in 20 years. The Saints' last win over St. Mary's was a 13-3 decision in 1997.
For St. Mary's (1-12, 1-5 CAC)
- Campbell collected a team-best five ground balls while sophomore defenseman Benjamin Stevens (Lutherville, Md./Dulaney) added four loose ball pickups.
- Senior captain Max Alderman (Lutherville, Md./Calvert Hall) made a dozen saves in the game.
For Marymount (Va.) (4-10, 1-5 CAC)
- Scorers (G-A): Beard (3-3), Kellen McCarthy (3-1), Dylan Watkins (2-0), Brent Sulhoff (2-0), John Williamson (1-1), Nick Hohman (1-0), Hunter McGeeney (1-0), Grey Clarkson (0-1), Shoshone Smith (0-1), Matthew Ebert (0-1), Josh McIvor (0-1)
- Goalie: Clarkson (8 saves, 8 GA, 60:00)
- Marymount outshot the Seahawks, 49-40, won the ground ball battle, 47-24, and captured the X with 16-of-24 face-off wins.
Up Next for the Seahawks
- St. Mary's will wrap up its road trip in Newport News, Virginia on Wednesday, April 12 when the Seahawks head to Christopher Newport University (9-4, 4-2 CAC) for another CAC tilt at 4:00 p.m.
Instagram: @smcseahawks, @smcmmlax