For Immediate Release · By Nairem Moran · firstname.lastname@example.org
St. Mary's City, Md. – First-year forward Khalid Balogun (Bowie, Md./Bowie) netted the game-winning goal with 6:14 left in the first extra frame to send the St. Mary's College of Maryland men's soccer team to a 2-1 overtime victory over Salisbury University in Capital Athletic Conference action Wednesday afternoon. This is St. Mary's first win over Salisbury since 2007 and just seventh all-time.
St. Mary's (Md.) 2, Salisbury 1 (OT)
How It Happened
- Balogun headed in the game-winner from the near post to lower portion of the far post at 93:46 after receiving a long cross from right-side sideline off the foot of sophomore defender Josh Akwara (Baltimore, Md./Loyola Blakefield).
- Following a scoreless first half, junior defender Nick Carrington (Old Bridge, N.J./Old Bridge) put Salisbury on the scoreboard first at 52:35 as Carrington converted on a penalty kick.
- Senior captain Nick Tait (Silver Spring, Md./Sandy Spring Friends) notched the equalizer at 71:35 as Tait deflected a low corner kick from the right side off the foot of senior captain Yonah Zeitz (Potomac, Md./Edmund Burke).
For the Seahawks (8-2-1, 2-1-0 CAC)
- Scorers: Tait (1 goal); Balogun (1 goal); Zeitz (1 assist); Akwara (1 assist).
- Goalkeeper: Zack Haussler (6 saves, 1 goal allowed, 93:46).
- St. Mary's finished the game with 12 shots (five on goal) and five corner kicks.
For Salisbury (4-4-1, 1-2-0 CAC)
- Scorers: Carrington (1 goal).
- Goalkeeper: Daniel Brennan (3 saves, 2 goals allowed, 93:46).
- The Sea Gulls collected 10 shots (seven on goal) and one corner kicks.
- Salisbury entered today's game with a 29-6-3 series record, including having won nine straight. The Seahawks' last win over Salisbury was on October 13, 2007 – a 2-1 overtime decision at Seahawk Stadium.
- St. Mary's is ranked ninth in the South Atlantic region in this week's NSCAA poll.
Up next for the Seahawks
- 10/8 vs. Marymount (Va.) University – 2:00 p.m. (CAC match)
- St. Mary's holds a 23-10-1 all-time record over Marymount but the Saints tallied a 3-2 triumph in Arlington last season.
Twitter: @smcseahawks, #SMCMmsoc, #TalonsOut, #GoHawks