For Immediate Release · By Monica Vega · firstname.lastname@example.org
St. Mary's City, Md. – Two first-half goals powers the St. Mary's College of Maryland men's soccer team to a 2-0 shutout of Marymount (Va.) University on a rainy Saturday afternoon at Seahawk Stadium for their third Capital Athletic Conference win.
St. Mary's (Md.) 2, Marymount (Va.) 0
How It Happened
- The Seahawks' senior midfielder Nick Tait (Silver Spring, Md./Sandy Spring Friends) would find the goal at 5:33 after a cross from the right side by first-year forward Khalid Balogun (Bowie, Md./Bowie) for the early 1-0 St. Mary's lead.
- Junior forward Luke Barber (Washington, D.C./Walt Whitman) received a pass from sophomore midfielder Juwan Kearson (Baltimore, Md./St. Paul's) in the 44th minute for the second and final goal of the game.
For the Seahawks (9-2-1, 3-1-0 CAC)
- Scorers: Tait (1 goal); Barber (1 goal); Balogun (1 assist); Kearson (1 assist).
- Goalkeeper: Junior captain Zack Haussler (Woodbine, Md./Glenelg) (7 saves, 0 goals allowed, 90:00).
- St. Mary's finished the game with 15 shots (11 on goal) and two corner kicks.
For Marymount (2-8-2, 0-4-0 CAC)
- Scorers: None.
- Goalkeeper: First-year John Valcicak (Herndon, Va./Gonzaga) (9 saves, 2 goals allowed, 90:00).
- The Saints collected 10 shots (seven on goal) and four corner kicks.
- St. Mary's is ranked ninth in the South Atlantic region in this week's NSCAA poll.
- With his eighth goal of the season, Tait moved into a tie for sixth all-time with Alex Pyzik '08 with 30 career goals. He remains in sole possession of fifth with 80 (30 goals, 20 assists) career points.
Up next for the Seahawks
- 10/11 at Christopher Newport University (11-2, 4-0 CAC) – 7:00 p.m. (CAC match)
- St. Mary's will look to snap its nine-game skid against the Captains on Tuesday as Christopher Newport holds a 16-4-1 record over the Seahawks.
Twitter: @smcseahawks, #SMCMmsoc, #TalonsOut, #GoHawks