For Immediate Release · By Nairem Moran · firstname.lastname@example.org
Frostburg, Md. – Three different Seahawks scored in the St. Mary's College of Maryland men's soccer team's third consecutive win Saturday evening. The Seahawks collected a 3-1 road win over Frostburg State University to remain undefeated in Capital Athletic Conference action.
St. Mary's 3, Frostburg State 1
How It Happened
- Three goals were scored in a five-minute span in the first half.
- St. Mary's drew first blood when junior captain Juwan Kearson (Baltimore, Md./St. Paul's School) picked up his team-leading fourth goal of the season at 20:25.
- Two minutes later, the match was even at 1-1 when Ernie Williams converted a penalty kick.
- The Seahawks responded at 25:35 as senior forward Emmanuel Oppong (Tema, Ghana/Blake [Md.]) tallied an unassisted score, sending his team into halftime with a 2-1 lead.
- Sophomore forward Khalid Balogun (Bowie, Md./Bowie) gave St. Mary's a two-goal cushion in the 64th minute as Balogun finished off a pass from senior captain Sunny Chhatani (Lima, Peru/Indian Creek [Md.]) for his first tally of the season.
For the Seahawks (6-4-0, 2-0-0 CAC)
- Scorers: Kearson (1 goal); Oppong (1 goal); Balogun (1 goal); Chhatani (1 assist)
- Goalkeeper: Zack Haussler (3 saves, 1 goal allowed, 90:00)
- St. Mary's put up seven shots (five on goal) and grabbed just one corner kick in the first half.
For Frostburg State (3-6-2, 1-1-0 CAC)
- Scorer: Williams (1 goal)
- Goalkeeper: Juan Bofill (2 saves, 3 goals allowed, 90:00)
- The loss snapped a two-match win streak for the Bobcats, who finished with nine shots (four on goal) and six corner kicks.
- This is St. Mary's first win over the Bobcats since 2014 and just fifth overall as FSU holds a 13-5-1 mark in the series history.
Up next for the Seahawks
- Oct. 4 at Salisbury University (5-6, 1-1 CAC) – Salisbury, Md. – CAC match – 4:00 p.m.
- Salisbury owns a 29-7-3 record over St. Mary's but the Seahawks notched a 2-1 overtime decision last season, snapping a nine-match skid against SU.
Instagram: @smcseahawks, @smcmmsoccer
Twitter: @smcseahawks, @SMCM_MSOCCER
Hashtags: #SweepTheSheds, #GoHawks