For Immediate Release · By Nairem Moran · firstname.lastname@example.org
- Score: St. Mary's 64, Hood 77
- Records: St. Mary's (0-2), Hood (1-0)
- Location: St. Mary's City, Md. – Ed Cole Court at Michael P. O'Brien Athletics & Recreation Center Arena
- The Short Story: Senior captain Kerri Kline (Hagerstown, Md./Saint James) poured in a season and team-best 20 points in the opening game of the Dan Greene Memorial Invitational. The St. Mary's College of Maryland women's basketball team, however, lost their second straight, falling 77-64 to Hood College Friday night.
Up Next for the Seahawks
- Nov. 18 vs. Washington College (1-0) – Ed Cole Court at MPOBARC Arena – Dan Greene Memorial Invitational – 3:00 p.m.
How It Happened
- St. Mary's twice led in the first quarter behind two early Kline free throws at 9:28 and then Kline capped a 7-3 run with five straight points for a 13-12 advantage at 3:45. The Blazers put together a 6-1 push and headed into the second period with a four-point lead.
- Amanda Hackney's two free throws extended Hood's advantage 21-16 in the second before the Seahawks responded with a 7-1 run and headed into the locker room down only 25-24.
- No one person dominated the scoring in the first half as Kline led the Seahawks with nine points while Denisha Robinson paced Hood with five. St. Mary's controlled the boards in the first 20 minutes with a +7 margin as junior forward Kobe Chaney (Edgewater, Md./South River) with six and captains Olivia Nowlin (Glenelg, Md./Glenelg) and Katie Robey (Kensington, Md./Georgetown Visitation) with five each combined for 16 of the team's 25 rebounds.
- Hood distanced themselves from the hosts in the third, outscoring the Seahawks 22-13 behind a 7-1 run to start the second half and 10 points off of five St. Mary's miscues to build a double-digit scoring margin.
- The fourth quarter was a high-scoring affair as the two sides combined for 57 points. The Seahawks found themselves down 16 with 3:38 to go but continued to battle, cutting the deficit in half with just under two minutes remaining.
Inside the Box Score
- Along with her 20 points, Kline added season-bests of seven rebounds and two steals.
- Robey and first-year guard Kyaira Priest (Lexington Park, Md./Chopticon) both finished the night with 10 points – a personal best for both players. Robey also had season-bests of seven boards, four assists, and two steals.
- Chaney hauled in a game-best 12 caroms plus chipped in a season-best nine points and two blocks.
- Mia Savoy lit up the scoreboard with 25 points while Maggie Tien contributed 13 points and seven rebounds in the Blazers' season-opening win.
Instagram: @smcseahawks, @smcm_wbb
Twitter: @smcseahawks, @SMCM_WBB
Hashtags: #SweepTheSheds, #GoHawks