For Immediate Release · By Justin Gordon · firstname.lastname@example.org
Hilton Head Island, S.C. – The St. Mary's College of Maryland women's tennis team snapped a two-match skid with a non-conference 8-1 road win over the Stevenson University Mustangs on Monday. This was the Seahawks' opening match at the PTR Spring TennisFest down in South Carolina.
St. Mary's 8, Stevenson 1
- Team captains Marissa Romanek (Sunderland, Md./Huntingtown) and Melissa Barall (Columbia, Md./Wilde Lake) posted an 8-0 sweep over the Mustangs' top pairing of Jenna Skove and Kelsi Mentzer.
- Sophomore Madeleine Johnson (Baltimore, Md./Towson) would make her collegiate debut and team up with junior captain Chelsea English (Clarksville, Md./River Hill) to take down Stevenson's Nina Bretz and Tracy Nguyen, 8-0, at No. 3 doubles.
- The Seahawks would have a clean sweep of Stevenson in the singles matchups, tallying straight-set victories in all but one singles match.
- First-year Claire Bodine (Smithsburg, Md./Smithsburg) notched her team-best fourth win of the season with a 6-3, 6-1 win over Kirstyn Davidson at No. 3 singles.
- English had the most challenging match of the day but she was up to the task, taking down Bretz 6-1, 2-6, 10-3 for her first win of the season.
Up Next for the Seahawks
Mar. 14 vs. Olivet College at 2:30 p.m. (PTR Spring TennisFest – Hilton Head Island, S.C.)
Twitter: @smcseahawks, @SMCMtennis, #GoHawks, #TalonsOut
Instagram: @smcseahawks, @smcmtennis