For Immediate Release · Monday, April 10, 2017 · email@example.com
St. Mary's City, Md. – The St. Mary's College of Maryland women's tennis team (7-7, 3-3 CAC) won a Capital Athletic Conference match against the Knights of Southern Virginia university, 6-3, on Monday afternoon. The win clinched one of the five playoff berths in the upcoming 2017 CAC Women's Tennis Championship Tournament, which begins Saturday, April 15 with first round action.
St. Mary's 6, Southern Virginia 3
- Southern Virginia claimed a 1-0 lead following an 8-5 win at No. 3 doubles.
- Team captains Melissa Barall (Columbia, Md./Wilde Lake) and Marissa Romanek (Sunderland, Md./Huntingtown) evened up the match at 1-1 with a big 8-2 win over SVU's top pairing in Makaela Adamson and Micah Morse.
- Juniors Raziela Manangan (Baltimore, Md./Institute of Notre Dame) and Chelsea English (Clarksville, Md./River Hill) sent the Seahawks into singles action with a 2-1 lead after beating Lauren Morrison and Natalie Teets, 8-6.
- Romanek extended St. Mary's lead to 3-1 with a 6-2, 6-4 victory at No. 2 singles.
- The Seahawks then gained a 4-1 advantage as Manangan won her fourth straight match with a 6-4, 6-2 triumph at No. 4 singles.
- The Knights closed the gap to 4-2 with Kelly Worthington's 7-6 (4), 6-1 win at No. 6 singles.
- Barall clinched the match win for St. Mary's with a 6-2, 7-5 victory over Morrison at the top singles.
- Claire Bodine (Smithsburg, Md./Smithsburg) would avenge her doubles loss by handing Morse a 3-6, 7-5, 10-8 setback at No. 3 singles to wrap up the 6-3 Seahawk win.
The win today helps clinch a playoff spot for the Seahawks. They will host No. 17 University of Mary Washington tomorrow to determine the final CAC playoff matchups.
Up Next for the Seahawks
Apr. 11 vs. Mary Washington at 4:00 p.m.
Twitter: @smcseahawks, @SMCMtennis, #GoHawks, #TalonsOut
Instagram: @smcseahawks, @smcmtennis