For Immediate Release · By Justin Gordon · firstname.lastname@example.org
Fredericksburg, Md. – The St. Mary's College of Maryland women's tennis team concluded Capital Athletic Conference action on Sunday with a doubleheader at the University of Mary Washington. The Seahawks (7-7, 2-5 CAC) started with a 9-0 morning loss to No. 18 Mary Washington (13-4, 6-0 CAC) before falling 5-0 to No. 24 Christopher Newport University (12-4, 6-1 CAC) in the afternoon. The CNU match was played to decision as bad weather was coming in.
St. Mary's 0, Mary Washington 9
How It Happened
- Senior captain Melissa Barall (Columbia, Md./Wilde Lake) and first-year Sophia Gary (Germantown, Md./Holton-Arms School) would lose a tight match to Danielle Mirabella and Brittany McBride at No. 1 doubles, falling 8-6.
- Seniors Chelsea English (Clarksville, Md./River Hill) and Raziela Manangan (Baltimore, Md./Institute of Notre Dame) also fought hard in an 8-5 loss to Sophie Dixon and Rachel Cooper at No. 2 doubles.
- Senior Savannah Bergen (Leonardtown, Md./Leonardtown) and sophomore Claire Bodine (Smithsburg, Md./Smithsburg) lost their match as well but managed to win two games in an 8-2 loss.
- The Seahawks would struggle in singles play, winning only a total of eight games. Barall and Bodine would both take three games from their opponents at No. 1 and No. 3 singles, respectively.
St. Mary's 0, Christopher Newport 5
How It Happened
- English and Gary teamed up to take on CNU's top pairing in Alexandra Drye and Johanna Ranta-aho, capturing three games in an 8-3 loss.
- Bodine and first-year Alden Grosh (Hagerstown, Md./Smithsburg) also won three games but lost 8-3 at No. 3 doubles.
- Gary and Bodine were the only Seahawks to get in their singles matches before weather forced the end of the match.
Up Next for the Seahawks
- Apr. 19 at Stevenson University (6-7) – Owings Mills, Md. – Season Finale – 2:00 p.m.
Instagram: @smcseahawks, @smcmtennis
Twitter: @smcseahawks, @SMCMtennis
Hashtags: #SweepTheSheds, #GoHawks