For Immediate Release · firstname.lastname@example.org
St. Mary's City, Md. – The St. Mary's College of Maryland volleyball team put up a valiant fight in their home- and season-opening match against Johns Hopkins University Thursday night. St. Mary's received double-doubles from the Graf sisters as senior outside hitter Alli Graf (Annapolis, Md./Broadneck) posted a career-best 19 kills and 13 digs and Mimi Graf (Annapolis, Md./Broadneck) added 32 assists and 18 digs in a four-set loss to Hopkins (25-21, 24-26, 26-28, 17-25).
How It Happened
- Trailing 18-14 in the first set, St. Mary's won seven of the last 14 points to take the opening set. With the score tied at 21-21, the Seahawks took the final four points on three consecutive Hopkins attack miscues and a service ace by Alli Graf.
- St. Mary's opened up the second set on a 5-1 run behind kills from senior Carissa Hill (Lanham, Md./Pallotti) and sophomore outside hitter Meghan Kelley (Ellicott City, Md./Centennial). The Blue Jays turned it around with a 19-9 run to establish a 20-14 advantage. The Seahawks continued pushing and tied up the set on a Kelley service ace and Mimi Graf kill before first-year Sarah Elnozahy (Austin, Texas/St. Stephen Episcopal) assisted on back-to-back kills to seal the set win for JHU.
- The third set was another tight matchup but Hopkins once again prevailed behind seven kills and four digs from junior outside hitter Elizabeth Wuerstle (Kennett Square, Pa./Tower Hill). Tied 26-26, the Blue Jays claimed the set with a kill by sophomore Sasha Gorelik (Los Angeles, Calif./Palisades Charter) and a service ace from first-year Genevieve Thomas (Los Angeles, Calif./Harvard-Westlake).
- St. Mary's kept it close early in the fourth but JHU broke a 10-10 draw with a 13-3 push to clinch the set and match.
For The Seahawks (0-1)
- A. Graf (team-best 19 kills, 13 digs, 4 assists); M. Graf (32 assists, team-best 18 digs); M. Kelley (14 kills, 3 digs), C. Hill (team-best 18 digs, 3 assists); senior Meghan Griffiths (La Plata. Md./La Plata) (career-best 11 digs, 2 assists).
- St. Mary's hit .129 in the match and had three blocks as a team plus three service aces.
For Johns Hopkins (1-0)
- Wuerstle (match-best 20 kills, 13 digs, 8 block assists); Erica Johnston (13 kills, 15 digs, 3 service aces); Sasha Gorelik (11 kills, 4 digs); Esther Hong (match-best 20 digs); Elnozahy (match-best 38 assists, 6 digs, 3 service aces); Thomas (12 digs, 2 service aces).
- The Blue Jays hit .273 in the contest, had 11.0 team blocks, and served up nine aces.
- Tonight's match marks the second consecutive season that St. Mary's has opened up the season against Johns Hopkins.
Twitter: @smcseahawks, @SMCMVB, #TalonsOut, #GoHawks
Instagram: @smcseahawks, @smcmvb