For Immediate Release · email@example.com
Virginia Beach, Va. – The St. Mary's College of Maryland volleyball team wrapped up action at the Virginia Wesleyan College Tournament with two more wins at the Batten Center. St. Mary's notched a pair of four-set wins over Shenandoah University (25-19, 25-13, 21-25, 25-15) and Ferrum College (18-25, 25-20, 25-23, 25-10).
St. Mary's (Md.) 3, Shenandoah 1 (25-19, 25-13, 21-25, 25-15)
How It Happened
- St. Mary's only trailed twice in the first set with the last time coming at 5-4. However, a kill and a block assist by sophomore middle blocker Hannah Krauss (Severna Park, Md./Severna Park) plus three straight service aces by senior Carissa Hill (Lanham, Md./Pallotti) put the lead in the hands of the Seahawks for good at 9-5.
- In the second set, St. Mary's witnessed an early 2-1 deficit before using a 10-3 push to gain the advantage for good. The set ended on a Shenandoah bad set.
- The Hornets claimed the third set after winning five of the last six points to break a 20-20 tie. The set ended on an attack miscue by St. Mary's.
- Never trailing in the fourth set, the Seahawks regrouped and cruised to a 25-15 victory for the set and match win. Outside hitters Alli Graf (Annapolis, Md./Broadneck) and Meghan Kelley (Ellicott City, Md./Centennial) each tallied six kills in the set triumph.
For The Seahawks (3-1)
- A. Graf (career- and match-best 20 kills, 5 digs, 4 service aces, career-high 2 solo blocks, 2 assists); Kelley (career-best 15 kills, 5 digs); Senior Mimi Graf (Annapolis, Md./Broadneck) (36 assists, 15 digs, 3 kills); Senior Meghan Griffiths (La Plata. Md./La Plata) (14 digs, 3 kills, career-high 2 block assists); Sophomore Marissa Dangler (Smithsburg, Md./Smithsburg) (career-bests of 23 digs, 3 service aces, 3 assists).
- St. Mary's hit a season-best .226 in the match, collected seven team blocks, and tallied a season-high 12 service aces.
For Shenandoah (1-4)
- Kaitlyn Kelley (9 kills, 8 digs, 3 service aces); Caylin Harris (9 kills, 2 digs); Rachel Cerretani (14 assists, 3 digs); Jasmine Callahan (13 assists, 10 digs); Elizabeth Lamont (15 digs, 7 kills, 4 assists).
- The Hornets posted a .111 hitting percentage in the contest and six service aces.
St. Mary's (Md.) 3, Ferrum 1 (18-25, 25-20, 25-23, 25-10)
How It Happened
- Ferrum grabbed the first set but the Seahawks responded with three consecutive set wins to pick up their fourth win in a row.
For The Seahawks (4-1)
- A. Graf (15 kills, 20 digs, career-best 5 service aces, 3 assists); Kelley (11 kills, career-high 8 digs); M. Graf (30 assists, 13 digs, 9 kills, 2 block assists); Hill (11 digs, 5 assists, 2 service aces); Dangler (15 digs).
- St. Mary's finished the match with a .159 attack percentage, six team blocks, and eight service aces.
For Ferrum (1-3)
- Hannah Helbert (team-best 8 kills, match-best 21 digs); Cheyenne Strickland (25 assists, 14 digs, 4 kills); Sarah Hendrix (18 digs); Jessica Turner (15 digs, 4 kills, 2 service aces).
- The Panthers hit .019 for the match with five service aces and 4.5 team blocks.
- M. Graf continues to add to her career double-double count as she is now up 43 double-doubles following two more double-doubles on Saturday.
- A. Graf registered her third double-double of the season, and 14th of her two-year Seahawk career, in the win over Ferrum.
- 9/9 vs. Randolph-Macon College – 2:30 p.m. (Washington and Lee University Invitational)
- 9/9 vs. Averett University – 5:00 p.m. (Washington and Lee Invitational)
Twitter: @smcseahawks, @SMCMVB, #TalonsOut, #GoHawks
Instagram: @smcseahawks, @smcmvb