For Immediate Release · Thursday, September 29, 2016 · email@example.com
St. Mary's City, Md. – The St. Mary's College of Maryland volleyball team experienced another heartbreaking loss Thursday night, falling short in a 3-2 (25-17, 21-25, 25-22, 20-25, 12-15) non-conference loss to Randolph-Macon College.
Randolph-Macon 3, St. Mary's (Md.) 1 (25-17, 21-25, 25-22, 20-25, 12-15)
How It Happened
- Randolph-Macon forced a fifth and deciding set with a 25-20 triumph in the fourth as sophomore Mariah Clark (Stuarts Draft, Va./Riverheads) collected six kills.
- In the fifth, the Yellow Jackets owned an 8-4 advantage at the switch. St. Mary's pulled within two five times, including 14-12, before first-year outside hitter Miranda Hall (Mechanicsville, Va./Hanover) laid down a match-winning kill.
- The two sides traded the first 19 points of the match before the Seahawks created separation with a 6-1 run for a 15-10 lead. A Randolph-Macon attacking error closed out the first set.
- St. Mary's and R-MC were neck-in-neck for the first 30 points of the second set before the Yellow Jackets broke away with a 5-0 push and a 19-15 lead. Sophomore outside hitter Meghan Kelley (Ellicott City, Md./Centennial) put the Seahawks within 21-20 with a kill; however, R-MC would close out the second on a 4-0 run and even the match at 1-all.
- The Seahawks claimed a 2-1 lead after a victory in the third, rallying from a 20-15 deficit with a 10-5 run to close out the set.
For The Seahawks (12-7)
- Alli Graf (20 kills, 17 digs, 3 assists, 2 service aces, 2 block assists); Brigid Morris (season-best 13 kills, career-high 5 block assists); Kelley (11 kills); Mimi Graf (34 assists, 18 digs, 8 kills, season-best 3 block assists); Mia Griffiths (12 assists, 2 digs); Meghan Griffiths (12 digs).
- St. Mary's posted a .172 attack percentage for the match with six service aces and 9.0 team blocks.
For Randolph-Macon (12-5)
- Clark (21 kills, 10 digs, 2 block assists); Alexia Wolfe (15 kills, 4 block assists, 3 digs); Miranda Hall (11 kills, 3 digs); Erin Quinn (55 assists, 8 digs, 2 kills); Julia Stech (10 digs); Samantha Sallade (22 digs).
- The Yellow Jackets attacked at a .230 clip with one service ace and 12.0 team blocks.
- Senior setter Mimi Graf (Annapolis, Md./Broadneck) recorded her 50th career double-double tonight with her 12th double-double of the season while junior Brigid Morris (Bethesda, Md./Walter Johnson) contributed a season-best 13 kills and career-high five block assists.
Up Next for the Seahawks
- 10/1 vs. Guilford College (7-7) – 2:00 p.m. (Eastern Mennonite University tri-match)
- 10/1 at Eastern Mennonite (8-8) – 4:00 p.m. (EMU tri-match)
Twitter: @smcseahawks, @SMCMVB, #TalonsOut, #GoHawks
Instagram: @smcseahawks, @smcmvb