For Immediate Release · By Nairem Moran · firstname.lastname@example.org
Salisbury, Md. – A pair of career efforts on defense were not enough to propel the St. Mary's College of Maryland volleyball team past Salisbury University in Capital Athletic Conference action Saturday afternoon. The Seahawks dropped a 3-1 (25-27, 18-25, 26-24, 20-25) decision to Salisbury and had their six-match win streak snapped.
Salisbury 3, St. Mary's (Md.) 1 (25-27, 18-25, 26-24, 20-25)
How It Happened
- The first set was neck-and-neck from the opening serve. Senior captain Alli Graf (Annapolis, Md./Broadneck) tied the game for the 16th time at 25-25 with a kill but a St. Mary's attacking error and a kill by senior outside hitter Katie Stouffer (Frederick, Md./Tuscarora) gave the host Sea Gulls a 1-0 match lead.
- Salisbury opened up the second set by winning 11 of the first 15 points and posted its biggest lead of 19-11 on a kill by first-year setter Rachel Dubbs (Ellicott City, Md./Marriotts Ridge). A Seahawk hitting error gave the Sea Gulls a 2-0 advantage in the match.
- It was another tight set in the third, featuring 12 tied scores and seven lead changes. Down 21-18, St. Mary's called a timeout and rallied with a 6-2 push to stake a one-point lead. The Seahawks held on to force a fourth set behind an A. Graf kill and a Salisbury error.
- The Seahawks jumped out to an early 5-1 lead, forcing Salisbury to call a timeout. The Sea Gulls turned the tables and built a 19-12 advantage, controlling the tempo the rest of the way for their second straight win.
For the Seahawks (18-8, 3-2 CAC)
- A. Graf – career-best 30 digs, 21 kills)
- Sophomore outside hitter Meghan Kelley (Ellicott City, Md./Centennial) – 11 kills, 2 digs
- Senior setter Mimi Graf (Annapolis, Md./Broadneck) – 42 assists, 13 digs, 3 block assists
- Sophomore libero Marissa Dangler (Smithsburg, Md./Smithsburg) – career-best 25 digs, 2 assists
- Senior Meghan Griffiths (La Plata, Md./La Plata) – 12 digs
- St. Mary's hit .140 for the match with two service aces and 8.0 team blocks.
For Salisbury (16-6, 5-1 CAC)
- Nicole Venturelli (21 kills, 8 digs); Stouffer (18 kills, 10 digs, 2 solo blocks); Sydney Davis (17 kills, 2 digs); Dubbs (56 assists, 7 digs); Hailey Dougherty (21 digs, 3 service aces); Shannon Russell (19 digs); Krista Pecenka (14 digs, 3 assists, 2 service aces); Gina Fischetti (14 digs).
- The Sea Gulls posted a .233 attacking percentage with six service aces and 12.0 team blocks.
- You can still help!. The Seahawks have raised only $252 of their $1,500 goal for the Side-Out Foundation in recognition of National Breast Cancer Awareness Month. There are two ways to contribute to this great cause.
- You can help support the team's efforts to raise $1,500 for breast cancer awareness and research by donating at the Seahawk volleyball team fundraising site at https://giving.side-out.org/campaigns/12093.
- In addition, you can purchase a Dig for a Cure t-shirt for $15. If you're interested in purchasing one or have any questions, please contact Kelly Martin at 240-895-2054.
Up Next for the Seahawks
- 10/18 at Stevenson University (18-8) – 7:00 p.m. (non-conference contest)
Twitter: @smcseahawks, @SMCMVB, #TalonsOut, #GoHawks
Instagram: @smcseahawks, @smcmvb