For Immediate Release · By Nairem Moran · firstname.lastname@example.org
Owings Mills, Md. – The St. Mary's College of Maryland volleyball team stepped out of Capital Athletic Conference play Tuesday night, taking on in-state foe, Stevenson University. Despite double-doubles from seniors Alli and Mimi Graf (Annapolis, Md./Broadneck), St. Mary's came up short in a 3-0 (13-25, 24-26, 23-25) non-conference loss to Stevenson.
Stevenson 3, St. Mary's (Md.) 0 (13-25, 24-26, 23-25)
How It Happened
- St. Mary's had a slow start to the match, attacking only at a .050 clip and allowing the host Mustangs to cruise to a 25-13 win in the first set.
- Senior setter Mimi Graf (Annapolis, Md./Broadneck) served up an ace to give the Seahawks a 23-21 advantage in the second but Stevenson claimed five of the next six points to stake a 2-0 lead in the match.
- A kill by sophomore outside hitter Meghan Kelley (Ellicott City, Md./Centennial) contributed to a 22-21 lead for St. Mary's in the third but Stevenson avoided a fourth behind the play of junior outside hitter Annika Schwartz (Damascus, Md./Damascus). Schwartz put down three kills to help the Mustangs grab four of the final five points.
For the Seahawks (18-9)
- A. Graf – 19 digs, 13 kills
- Kelley – 11 kills, 2 digs
- M. Graf – 27 assists, 12 digs, 2 kills, 2 block assists
- Sophomore libero Marissa Dangler (Smithsburg, Md./Smithsburg) – 15 digs, 3 assists
- St. Mary's hit .201 for the match with one service ace and 3.0 team blocks.
For Stevenson (21-7)
- Schwartz (20 kills, 5 digs, 3 assists); Kristen Brooks (18 digs, 13 kills); Sara Bollinger (27 kills, 10 digs); Julie Nightwine (20 assists, 13 digs); Megan Hren (27 digs, 4 assists).
- The Mustangs, who received votes in this week's AVCA Top 25 Coaches Poll, posted a .340 attacking percentage with three service aces and 2.0 team blocks in winning their 12th straight.
- You can still help! The Seahawks have raised only $252 of their $1,500 goal for the Side-Out Foundation in recognition of National Breast Cancer Awareness Month. There are two ways to contribute to this great cause.
- You can help support the team's efforts to raise $1,500 for breast cancer awareness and research by donating at the Seahawk volleyball team fundraising site at https://giving.side-out.org/campaigns/12093.
- In addition, you can purchase a Dig for a Cure t-shirt for $15. If you're interested in purchasing one or have any questions, please contact head coach Kelly Martin at 240-895-2054.
Up Next for the Seahawks
- 10/21 at Southern Virginia University (6-12, 2-3 CAC) – 7:00 p.m. (Capital Athletic Conference contest)
- 10/22 at Frostburg State University (9-15, 1-4 CAC) – 11:00 a.m. (CAC match)
- 10/22 vs. Goucher College (4-15) – 1:00 p.m. (at Frostburg State, non-conference contest)
Twitter: @smcseahawks, @SMCMVB, #TalonsOut, #GoHawks
Instagram: @smcseahawks, @smcmvb