For Immediate Release · By Nairem Moran · email@example.com
Buena Vista, Va. – Outside hitters Alli Graf (Annapolis, Md./Broadneck) and Meghan Kelley (Ellicott City, Md./Centennial) combined for 27 kills as the St. Mary's College of Maryland volleyball team returned to the win column with a Capital Athletic Conference victory over the host Southern Virginia University Knights. The Seahawks posted a 3-1 (25-16, 25-18, 25-27, 25-23) triumph to move into a tie for fourth with Christopher Newport University in the conference standings.
St. Mary's (Md.) 3, Southern Virginia 1 (25-16, 25-18, 25-27, 25-23)
How It Happened
- Down 9-8 in the first set, St. Mary's claimed a 1-0 lead in the match after putting together a 16-8 run to close out the game.
- The Seahawks built a 16-11 advantage before Southern Virginia pulled within one twice (17-16 and 18-17). St. Mary's went on to use a 7-1 push, including two kills by A. Graf, to go up 2-0.
- Southern Virginia staved off eight set points as the Knights rallied from 24-17 down to capture the third and force an extra set.
- It was another tight battle in the fourth and saw Southern Virginia knotting the set at 23-23 with two consecutive points. Kelley's kill gave the Seahawks a one-point lead while a Knight attacking error sealed the win for St. Mary's.
For the Seahawks (19-9, 4-2 CAC)
- A. Graf – 23 digs, 14 kills, 3 assists
- Kelley – 13 kills
- Senior setter Mimi Graf (Annapolis, Md./Broadneck) – 21 assists, 10 digs, 7 kills, 2 block assists
- Sophomore setter Mia Griffiths (La Plata, Md./La Plata) – 15 assists, 5 digs
- Sophomore libero Marissa Dangler (Smithsburg, Md./Smithsburg) – 23 digs, 2 service aces
- Senior Meghan Griffiths (La Plata, Md./La Plata) – 10 digs
- St. Mary's hit .139 for the match with three service aces and 5.0 team blocks.
For Southern Virginia (6-13, 2-4 CAC)
- Hannah Allred (15 kills, 10 digs, 5 block assists); Penny Gwynn (26 digs, 12 kills, 3 block assists); Valerie Baety (17 assists, 13 digs); LaRee Crockett (16 assists, 15 digs); Hannah Hosier (19 digs).
- The Knights posted a .063 attacking percentage with three service aces and 12.0 team blocks.
- You can still help! The Seahawks have raised only $252 of their $1,500 goal for the Side-Out Foundation in recognition of National Breast Cancer Awareness Month. There are two ways to contribute to this great cause.
- You can help support the team's efforts to raise $1,500 for breast cancer awareness and research by donating at the Seahawk volleyball team fundraising site at https://giving.side-out.org/campaigns/12093.
- In addition, you can purchase a Dig for a Cure t-shirt for $15. If you're interested in purchasing one or have any questions, please contact head coach Kelly Martin at 240-895-2054.
Up Next for the Seahawks
- 10/22 at Frostburg State University (9-15, 1-4 CAC) – 11:00 a.m. (CAC match)
- 10/22 vs. Goucher College (4-15) – 1:00 p.m. (at Frostburg State, non-conference contest)
Twitter: @smcseahawks, @SMCMVB, #TalonsOut, #GoHawks
Instagram: @smcseahawks, @smcmvb