For Immediate Release · By Nairem Moran · email@example.com
St. Mary's City, Md. – The St. Mary's College of Maryland volleyball team succumbed to a 3-0 Capital Athletic Conference loss (20-25, 18-25, 12-25) Friday night at the hands of No. 20 Christopher Newport University. The loss snapped a three-match win streak for St. Mary's.
No. 20 Christopher Newport 3, St. Mary's (Md.) 0 (20-25, 18-25, 12-25)
How It Happened
- The Seahawks had a slow start to the first set but regained their composure and evened the score at 7-7. Christopher Newport pulled away for a 24-16 advantage. However, St. Mary's staved off a first-set loss by rallying with four straight points before senior outside hitter Maddie McCann (Mathews, Va./Mathews) slammed home a kill for CNU win.
- St. Mary's never led or tied the score in the second set and found themselves down 20-12. The Seahawks won six of the next 11 points but the rally fell short as the Captains claimed a 2-0 lead.
- The Seahawks hit -.111 and notched only four kills in the final game as Christopher Newport cruised to the conference sweep.
For the Seahawks (21-10, 5-3 CAC)
- Senior outside hitter Alli Graf (Annapolis, Md./Broadneck) – 13 digs, 8 kills
- Senior setter Mimi Graf (Annapolis, Md./Broadneck) – 11 assists, 6 kills, 2 block assists
- Junior Brigid Morris (Bethesda, Md./Walter Johnson) – 6 kills, 2 block assists
- Sophomore libero Marissa Dangler (Smithsburg, Md./Smithsburg) – 8 digs
- St. Mary's posted a .059 attacking percentage for the match with 4.0 team blocks.
For No. 20 Christopher Newport (22-7, 6-2 CAC)
- Hannah Miller (10 kills, 6 block assists); Hope Webb (33 assists, 7 digs, 2 service aces); Josie Lucernoni (8 digs); Rachel Close (8 digs).
- The Captains registered a .258 hitting percentage with five service aces and 11.0 team blocks as CNU picked up its sixth straight victory.
- You can still help! The Seahawks have raised only $252 of their $1,500 goal for the Side-Out Foundation in recognition of National Breast Cancer Awareness Month. There are two ways to contribute to this great cause.
- You can help support the team's efforts to raise $1,500 for breast cancer awareness and research by donating at the Seahawk volleyball team fundraising site at https://giving.side-out.org/campaigns/12093.
- In addition, you can purchase a Dig for a Cure t-shirt for $15. If you're interested in purchasing one or have any questions, please contact head coach Kelly Martin at 240-895-2054.
Up Next for the Seahawks
- 10/29 vs. No. 12 Mary Washington (25-3, 7-1 CAC) – 1:00 p.m. (CAC match, Senior Day)
- Seniors Meghan Griffiths (La Plata, Md./La Plata) and Carissa Hill (Lanham, Md./Pallotti), M. Graf, and A. Graf will be recognized prior to the start of the Mary Washington match as part of Senior Day.
Twitter: @smcseahawks, @SMCMVB, #TalonsOut, #GoHawks
Instagram: @smcseahawks, @smcmvb