For Immediate Release · By Nairem Moran · firstname.lastname@example.org
Arlington, Va. – Junior captain Hannah Krauss (Severna Park, Md./Severna Park) tallied a season-best nine kills in helping the St. Mary's College of Maryland volleyball team put together a balanced attack Wednesday night. However, the Seahawks dropped a 3-0 decision at Marymount (Va.) University in Capital Athletic Conference action.
St. Mary's 0, Marymount 3 (23-25, 18-25, 21-25)
How It Happened
- The match was neck-in-neck during all three sets, featuring 20 tied scores and six lead changes.
- In the first set, St. Mary's owned a 21-20 advantage on a Saint attacking error before Marymount closed out the game on a 4-2 push behind 3.5 points from Caroline Hanson.
- Marymount controlled the tempo in the second set from the opening serve, boasting a seven-point lead at 22-15 before the Seahawks pulled within four. After an MU timeout, the Saints ended the set on a 3-0 run.
- The Seahawks started the final set on a 3-0 run and owned a 13-12 lead before Marymount used a 13-8 run to secure its second conference win of the season.
Other Top Performers for St. Mary's (3-16, 0-5 CAC)
- Mia Griffifths – 28 assists, 9 digs, 4 kills
- Marissa Dangler – 22 digs, 3 assists
- The Seahawks posted a .188 hitting percentage for the match with two service aces and 2.0 team blocks.
For Marymount (10-10, 2-2 CAC)
- Hanson – 14 kills, 17 assists, 8 digs
- Ashton Walker – 10 kills, 2 digs, 2 block assists
- Cristy Tieman – 20 assists, 8 digs
- The Saints notched a .303 attack percentage while tallying three aces and 4.0 team blocks.
Up Next for the Seahawks
- Oct. 13 vs. Wesley College (13-9, 0-4 CAC) – MPOBARC Arena – CAC match – 7:00 p.m.
- Oct. 14 vs. Salisbury University (13-7, 2-2 CAC) – MPOBARC Arena – CAC match – Dig Pink Rally - 3:00 p.m.
- To help the team reach their goal of $1,500 for the Side-Out Foundation, please make a donation at Saturday's game or go online at https://giving.side-out.org/campaigns/13611.
Twitter: @smcseahawks, @SMCMVB
Instagram: @smcseahawks, @smcmvb
Hashtags: #SweepTheSheds, #GoHawks