For Immediate Release · By Nairem Moran · firstname.lastname@example.org
St. Mary's City, Md. – Juniors Meghan Kelley (Ellicott City, Md./Centennial) and Hannah Krauss (Severna Park, Md./Severna Park) once again powered the St. Mary's College of Maryland volleyball team Saturday afternoon but St. Mary's remained winless in Capital Athletic Conference action with a 3-1 loss to Salisbury University.
St. Mary's 1, Salisbury 3 (18-25, 25-21, 22-25, 21-25)
How It Happened
- Kelley and Krauss both put down a dozen kills and three block assists each while junior captain Mia Griffiths (La Plata, Md./La Plata) picked up her third double-double of the season with 37 assists and 11 digs along with three kills. In addition, Kelley added six digs.
- Today's match featured 22 tied scores and 14 lead changes, including 10 and 8, respectively, in the second game.
- Down 16-14 in the first set, Salisbury put together an 11-2 run to claim a 1-0 lead as Gianna Savarese had two kills and two block assists in the run.
- St. Mary's responded right away in the second game, evening up the match 1-1 as the Seahawks closed out the set on a 9-4 push.
- Following a 10-minute break for Dig Pink Rally festivities, the two sides continued to battle as the Sea Gulls never trailed in the third but could not out any real distance between themselves and St. Mary's. After a tandem block by Krauss and first-year middle blocker Adair Watson (Rose Haven, Md./Southern) pulled the Seahawks within 24-22, Nicole Venturelli sealed the 2-1 SU lead with her 11th kill of the match.
- It was neck-and-neck yet again in the fourth and final set but Salisbury established separation with a 10-4 run to turn around a 13-12 setback and then held on for the win.
Other Top Performers for St. Mary's (3-18, 0-7 CAC)
- Marissa Dangler – 29 digs
- Emily Benedict – 11 digs
- Audrey McKay – 4 block assists, 2 kills
- The Seahawks hit .220 in the first and second sets to finish with a .172 attack percentage for the match while collecting 6.0 team blocks and a service ace.
For Salisbury (14-7, 3-2 CAC)
- Venturelli – 21 kills, 9 digs
- Carley Cleland – 13 kills, 3 block assists, 2 digs
- Rachel Dubbs – 33 assists, 12 digs, 2 kills
- Hailey Dougherty – 30 digs, 6 assists
- The Sea Gulls posted a .218 hitting percentage, including attacking at a .260 clip in the first set, while recording five service aces and 5.0 team blocks.
Up Next for the Seahawks
- Oct. 18 at No. 23 Christopher Newport University (19-3) – Newport News, Va. – 7:00 p.m.
- To help the team reach their goal of $1,500 for the Side-Out Foundation, please make a donation online at https://giving.side-out.org/campaigns/13611.
Twitter: @smcseahawks, @SMCMVB
Instagram: @smcseahawks, @smcmvb
Hashtags: #SweepTheSheds, #GoHawks