For Immediate Release · By Nairem Moran · email@example.com
St. Mary's City, Md. – The final game of the three-game set between the St. Mary's College of Maryland baseball team and D'Youville College came down to a slugfest on a bright, sunny Sunday afternoon. However, St. Mary's could not complete the sweep as D'Youville outlasted the Seahawks, 16-11, for its second win of the season. The loss snaps St. Mary's four-game win streak, its longest since a four-game win streak in 2015.
- Hits: St. Mary's 16, D'Youville 12
- Errors: St. Mary's 5, D'Youville 6
- Left on Base: St. Mary's 12, D'Youville 7
St. Mary's Offensive Leaders
- Holden Marshall: 3-for-3, 3 RBI, 2 runs scored, 1 walk, 1 stolen base
- Jay Hammett: 2-for-4, 2 RBI, 1 run scored, 1 walk, 1 hit by pitch
D'Youville Offensive Leaders
- Travis Macrides: 2-for-4, 2 RBI, 4 runs scored, 1 walk, 1 double, 1 home run, 1 hit by pitch, 2 stolen bases
- Nicholas Ivanoff: 2-for-4, 3 RBI, 3 runs scored, 1 walk, 1 double, 1 sacrifice hit
- Patrick Mulligan: 2-for-5, 1 RBI, 1 run scored, 1 double, 1 stolen base
St. Mary's Pitching
- Tim Hand: 4.0 IP, 7 hits, 6 earned runs, 2 walks, 2 strikeouts (L, 0-2)
- Matt Henigan: 3.0 IP, 1 hit, 1 earned run, 3 walks, 2 strikeouts
- Noah Meyers: 1.0 IP, 3 hits, 2 earned runs, 0 walks, 1 strikeout
- Sean Goodie: 1.0 IP, 1 hit, 2 earned runs, 1 walk, 0 strikeouts
- Nicholas Ivanoff: 5.0 IP, 9 hits, 5 earned runs, 2 walks, 6 strikeouts (W, 1-0)
- Dylan Haak: 4.0 IP, 7 hits, 2 earned runs, 1 walk, 1 strikeout (S, 1)
How It Happened
- The Seahawks owned a 3-0 lead after two innings of play. In the bottom of the first, junior outfielder Holden Marshall (Towson, Md./Friends) connected on a bases loaded RBI single for the first run of the game. Back-to-back RBI singles by redshirt junior infielder Dan McCann (North Laurel, Md./Atholton) and redshirt sophomore infielder Jay Hammett (Coltons Point, Md./Chopticon) scored the next two runs in the second inning.
- D'Youville cut the deficit to one with two runs in the top of the third inning. However, St. Mary's went up 4-2 in its half of the third following an RBI single from senior infielder Joe Bavaro (Brick, N.J./Point Pleasant Boro) to bring home Marshall.
- The Spartans exploded for six runs in the fourth inning to stake an 8-4 advantage and their first lead of the game, a lead they would not relinquish the rest of the game.
- St. Mary's responded with two in the fourth as well to pull within two as Marshall hit a two-run single through the right side to drive in senior catcher Sean Goodie (Rising Sun, Md./Rising Sun) and Hammett.
- DYC established an 11-6 lead with two runs in the fifth and one more in the sixth. The Seahawks came within three in the sixth as Marshall and junior outfielder Dakota Merritt (Lexington Park, Md./Great Mills) both scored thanks to a pair of Spartan errors.
- D'Youville unleashed for five more runs over the final two innings, including a two-out, two-run home run by Travis Macrides in the ninth, for a 16-8 margin heading into the bottom of the ninth.
- St. Mary's put on a rally in the ninth, getting three runs on five hits and one error but the comeback came up short as the Seahawks left runners on second and third following the last out.
Inside the Box Score
- Marshall finished the game with career-bests of three hits and three RBI while Hammett notched a season-high two hits for the fourth time this season.
- Junior RHP Tim Hand (Huntingtown, Md./Huntingtown) threw a career-best 4.0 innings with career-highs of two strikeouts and two walks as Hand dropped to 0-2 on the season.
Up Next for the Seahawks
- Mar. 21 at Wesley College (6-6) – Dover, Del. – Capital Athletic Conference opener – 3:30 p.m.
Instagram: @smcseahawks, @smcm_baseball
Twitter: @smcseahawks, @SMCM_Baseball
Hashtags: #SweepTheSheds, #GoHawks