Nov 15, 2016
For Immediate Release · Tuesday, November 15, 2016 · email@example.com
St. Mary's City, Md. –
- Score: St. Mary's 95, Penn State Altoona 66
- Records: St. Mary's (1-0), Penn State Altoona (0-1)
- Location: St. Mary's City, Md. · Michael P. O'Brien Athletics & Recreation Center Arena
- The Short Story: The St. Mary's College of Maryland men's basketball team posted a convincing 95-66 non-conference victory over Penn State Altoona Tuesday evening in their home- and season-opener. Five Seahawks scored in double-digit figures.
How It Happened
- St. Mary's and the Lions played a close game in the first six minutes, with the Seahawks working out to a 12-8 lead off a layup by junior guard Alie Kondeh (Laurel, Md./Ideal Academy). St. Mary's pulled away to a 21-11 advantage behind first-year guard Matt Ayoub's (Fairfax, Va./W.T. Woodson) first two three-pointers of his career.
- Penn State Altoona rallied in a four-minute span and closed the gap to 25-24 on a pair of Brian Allen free throws. That would be as close as the Lions would get for the remainder of the contest as St. Mary's quickly countered by ending the first half on an 18-8 run to post a 43-32 halftime lead.
- Junior wing Lavonte Sanders (Upper Marlboro, Md./Wise) was the only player to reach double-digits in the first half as Sanders led all players with 10 points on 4-of-7 shooting. Penn State Altoona struggled from the three-point arc, finishing the half 0-for-12, but stayed in range as the Lions recorded double the points St. Mary's earned off free throws.
- The Seahawks retained the momentum to begin the second half, extending their lead to 57-36 in the first five minutes. Penn State Altoona could not overcome the deficit as St. Mary's continued to build upon its advantage and lead by as many as 35 with less than seven minutes to play.
- St. Mary's made 15-of-23 free throws in the game while shooting 10-of-27 from behind the three-point arc to Altoona's 2-of-24. The Seahawks also controlled the glass with a 62-50 rebounding advantage, including eight by junior captain Marsalis Hurley (Cheltenham, Md./Frederick Douglass).
Inside the Box Score
- Juniors Delaszo Smith (Baltimore, Md./Annapolis) and Ochae Bynum (Waldorf, Md./North Point) and first-year Darick Kerns (Cumberland, Md./Allegany) each tallied a team-leading 13 points while Sanders and Kondeh both finished with 10 in their first game as a Seahawk.
- Bynum also dished a game-best four assists while Bynum and Smith each knocked down three triples in combining for six of the team's 10 three-pointers.
- St. Mary's will travel to College Park on Thursday, November 17 to take on No. 24 University of Maryland (2-0) in an exhibition game at 7:00 p.m. at the Xfinity Center.
Instagram: @smcseahawks, @smcm_mbb