For Immediate Release · By Nairem Moran · email@example.com
- Score: St. Mary's 50, Christopher Newport 64
- Records: St. Mary's (3-15, 2-9 CAC), Christopher Newport (14-4, 8-3 CAC)
- Location: Newport News, Va. – Freeman Center
- The Short Story: Second-half turnovers once again plagued the St. Mary's College of Maryland men's basketball team Wednesday night. The Seahawks came up short in a 64-50 road loss to Christopher Newport University in Capital Athletic Conference action.
How It Happened
- St. Mary's connected on three three-pointers in a 13-2 run to turnaround a 9-0 start by the Captains and stake a 13-11 lead at 12:02. CNU would rebuild a nine-point advantage at the 4:05-minute mark with a 15-4 run but the Seahawks closed the half on an 8-0 run and pulled within 26-25 at halftime as senior wing Chris Craft, Jr. (Waldorf, Md./Westlake) hit a layup with three seconds to go.
- Craft led all scorers with eight first-half points on 4-for-5 shooting while the Seahawks shot 37.9% (11-for-29) from the field with three triples. Aaron McFarland paced the home team with seven points while Christopher Newport connected on 9-of-27 shots (33.3%) with four three-pointers and went a perfect 4-for-4 effort at the line.
- It was a tight start to the second half as the two teams traded leads six times before the Captains rolled out a 20-7 run to establish a 12-point lead at 7:14. CNU benefitted from 13 points off of 11 Seahawk turnovers while their shooting jumped over 50-percent over the final 20 minutes, including going 5-for-11 from behind the three-point arc.
Inside the Box Score
- Sophomore wing Jerrel Elder (Schweinfurt, Germany/Meade [Md.]) tallied a dozen points to lead the Seahawks as Elder connected on a career-high five field goals for the second consecutive game.
- Craft finished with 11 points, four rebounds, and two steals while sophomore guard Reggie Rouse (Baltimore, Md./Calvert Hall) contributed a career-best seven boards to help St. Mary's a 33-29 edge in rebounding. Rouse also chipped in nine points and two assists.
- Three Captains scored in double digits as McFarland led the way with a game-best 20 points.
Up Next for the Seahawks
- Jan. 27 vs. Frostburg State University (8-10, 6-5 CAC) – Michael P. O'Brien ARC Arena – CAC game – 2:00 p.m.
Instagram: @smcseahawks, @smcm_mbb
Twitter: @smcseahawks, @SMCM_MBB
Hashtags: #SweepTheSheds, #GoHawks