For Immediate Release · Wednesday, January 31, 2018 · firstname.lastname@example.org
- Score: St. Mary's 54, Mary Washington 68
- Records: St. Mary's (3-17, 2-11 CAC), Mary Washington (15-5, 9-4 CAC)
- Location: St. Mary's City, Md. – Michael P. O'Brien ARC Arena
- The Short Story: Guards Matt Ayoub (Fairfax, Va./W.T. Woodson) and Donovan Robinson (Cheverly, Md./North Point) both reached double-digits in scoring Wednesday night but the St. Mary's College of Maryland men's basketball team dropped their fifth straight contest. The Seahawks succumbed to a 68-54 setback to the University of Mary Washington Eagles in Capital Athletic Conference action. With the win, Mary Washington claims the season sweep of the Seahawks.
How It Happened
- A quick start to tonight's contest saw the Eagles jump out to a 6-0 lead, including back-to-back baskets by Eric Shaw, in the first 2:01 of the game before sophomore forward Quentin Twyman (Germantown, Md./Seneca Valley) put St. Mary's on the board with a three-pointer at 16:38. The Seahawks then overtook the lead at 15:15 on a layup by sophomore forward Jamal Murphy (Waldorf, Md./Westlake).
- UMW responded with a 25-15 run in a nearly 15-minute span to post a nine-point advantage as Johnny Cronin capped the run with a layup. St. Mary's scored the next seven points, including five straight from Robinson, to close the gap to 31-29 at 2:21. Jacob Williams' triple with two minutes left in the half sent the Eagles into halftime with a 34-29 edge.
- The Seahawks only trailed by five as the team shot nearly 53% in the first, making 10-of-19, including a staggering 62.5% (5-8) from downtown. Shaw led all scorers with 16 points while Mary Washington shot 39.3% (11-28) from the field. Ayoub paced the hosts with 10 points and three rebounds as St. Mary's owned a 17-12 rebounding margin.
- St. Mary's stayed within seven of the Eagles in the first five minutes of the game before Mary Washington rushed off to a 20-9 run to boast its biggest lead of the game of 16 at 6:18 after A.J. Robinson knocked down a three-pointer.
- The Seahawks would work the deficit back into single digits with less than five minutes, trailing only by eight after a three-pointer by senior guard Ochae Bynum (Waldorf, Md./North Point) at 4:32. St. Mary's would get no closer as the Eagles closed out the game on a 7-1 push.
Inside the Box Score
- Ayoub paced the Seahawks with his second straight double-figure scoring game as he finished with 12 while adding four rebounds and three steals. Robinson didn't miss on the night, going 3-for-3 from the field, including 2-for-2 from downtown, and 2-for-2 at the line to finish with 10 points. He also picked up two boards.
- Murphy contributed nine points and a game-best seven caroms as St. Mary's posted a 34-26 rebounding margin.
- Shaw finished the night with a game-best 22 points as he was limited to six second-half points while Robinson chipped in 13 points with four triples. The Eagles forced 26 St. Mary's turnovers with 15 steals.
Up Next for the Seahawks
- Feb. 3 at Wesley College (9-11, 5-8 CAC) – Dover, Del. – CAC game – 3:00 p.m.
Instagram: @smcseahawks, @smcm_mbb
Twitter: @smcseahawks, @SMCM_MBB
Hashtags: #SweepTheSheds, #GoHawks