For Immediate Release · By Nairem Moran · firstname.lastname@example.org
Dover, Del. – Senior wing Chris Craft, Jr. (Waldorf, Md./Westlake) tallied 13 points off the bench to lead the St. Mary's College of Maryland men's basketball team in an 80-59 road loss to Wesley College Saturday afternoon. The win gives Wesley the season sweep of the Seahawks as the Wolverines earned a 74-67 win in St. Mary's City on January 6.
- Score: St. Mary's 59, Wesley 80
- Records: St. Mary's (3-18, 2-12 CAC), Wesley (10-11, 6-8 CAC)
- Location: Dover, Del. – Wentworth Gymnasium
How It Happened
- Wesley jumped out to an early 5-0 lead before senior guard Ochae Bynum (Waldorf, Md./North Point) and sophomore forward Jamal Murphy (Waldorf, Md./Westlake) pulled the Seahawks even at 5-5 at 16:47. However, the Wolverines would never trail in the game as WC used a 13-5 run to build an eight-point lead at 12:39 following an and1 play by Brian Cameron.
- St. Mary's responded with a 7-0 run as Craft pulled his team within one with a layup off an assist from senior wing LaVonte Sanders (Upper Marlboro, Md./Wise). However, the Wolverines outscored the visitors 25-11 over the final 10 minutes of the half to post a 43-28 lead at the break.
- Mychal Stefanides led all scorers at halftime with 13 points as Wesley shot 60.7% (17-28) from the field, including six three-pointers (three of which were made by Stefanides). Sophomore guard Matt Ayoub (Fairfax, Va./W.T. Woodson) scored six to lead the Seahawks while the team went 11-of-26 (42.3%) from the floor with five triples but a dismal 1-of-12 at the line.
- The Wolverines' hot shooting continued in the second half, making 61.5% of their shots in bolstering their lead to 26 at 8:58 on back-to-back layups by Evan Anderson.
Inside the Box Score
- In addition to matching his season-best 13 points for the second time, Craft added seven boards, while Murphy contributed seven caroms and five points.
- Sophomore guard Reggie Rouse (Baltimore, Md./Calvert Hall) scored in double digits as well as Rouse put up a career-best 12 points behind career-highs of five field goals (5-7) and two three-pointers (2-3). He also contributed four assists and three rebounds. As a team, St. Mary's dished out a season-best 17 helpers for the third time this season.
- Four starters reached the double-digit plateau for Wesley with Stefanides' 19 points leading the way. J.W. Lawson didn't miss a shot from the field, notching 11 points and helping the Wolverines to a 35-32 rebounding margin with a game-best nine boards.
Up Next for the Seahawks
- Feb. 7 vs. Salisbury University (9-11, 5-8 CAC) – Michael P. O'Brien ARC Arena – CAC game – Blue Out – Staff Appreciation Night – 8:00 p.m.
Instagram: @smcseahawks, @smcm_mbb
Twitter: @smcseahawks, @SMCM_MBB
Hashtags: #SweepTheSheds, #GoHawks