For Immediate Release · By Justin Gordon · firstname.lastname@example.org
Frostburg, Md. – The St. Mary's College of Maryland women's tennis team picked up their second Capital Athletic Conference win of the season Saturday afternoon. St. Mary's (7-5, 2-3 CAC) notched an 8-1 victory over Frostburg State University (4-7, 0-4 CAC), snapping a two-match skid.
St. Mary's 8, Frostburg State 1
How It Happened
- Senior captains Melissa Barall (Columbia, Md./Wilde Lake) and Chelsea English (Clarksville, Md./River Hill) got back to their winning ways by defeating Kate Paylor and Jenna Lipinski, 8-1, at No. 1 doubles.
- Seniors Savannah Bergen (Leonardtown, Md./Leonardtown) and Raziela Manangan (Baltimore, Md./Institute of Notre Dame) won their No. 2 doubles match with a score of 8-5.
- Sophomore Claire Bodine (Smithsburg, Md./Smithsburg) and first-year Alden Grosh (Hagerstown, Md./Smithsburg) claimed No. 3 doubles, 8-1, over Sammi Turner and Elizabeth Mott.
- Barall started off singles play for the Seahawks by winning the No. 1 match, 6-0, 6-1 over Kate Paylor for her team-leading 11th singles win of the season.
- Bodine stretched her win streak to five straight with an 8-3 win over Allison Paul at No. 3 singles, improving to 5-0 in conference play.
- Grosh, English, and Bergen all won their singles matches as well to help St. Mary's to the 8-1 win.
Up Next for the Seahawks
- Apr. 15 at No. 19 University of Mary Washington (10-4, 3-0 CAC)/vs. No. 24 Christopher Newport University (8-4, 2-1 CAC) – Fredericksburg, Va. – 2 CAC matches – 10:00 a.m./3:00 p.m.
Instagram: @smcseahawks, @smcmtennis
Twitter: @smcseahawks, @SMCMtennis
Hashtags: #SweepTheSheds, #GoHawks